Mapperton House is open from 2 April 2017 until 31 October, from 12pm until 4pm every day except Fridays and Saturdays. The House can be visited by guided tour only, usually starting at 12pm, 1pm, 2pm and 3pm.
Mapperton House is the home of the Earl and Countess of Sandwich. The family moved here from Hinchingbrooke House, near Huntingdon, in the 1950s, bringing with it the family collection.
“Throughout the house 16th, 17th and 18th centuries meet each other at every turn. Yet – and this is notably characteristic of Mapperton – they do not quarrel. Diversity never means discord. Rather the different ages combine to create an unexpected and richer harmony.”
Lord David Cecil, Some Dorset Country Houses, 1955