Mapperton Estate currently has the following positions available:
Cafe, bar and venue manager
Mapperton House & Gardens is a popular visitor attraction near Beaminster in West Dorset.
We are in the process of converting a 17th century stable block into a new cafe, bar and events space, supported by a fully equipped commercial kitchen. This exciting project will mean that Mapperton can offer its house & garden visitors a wider selection of food and drinks, as well as providing an outstanding historic venue for weddings, parties, seminars and other events. The cafe and venue are due to open in May 2018, with temporary cafe facilities in place from the beginning of March 2018.
We are looking for an experienced manager to manage the cafe, and to oversee the operations of the bar and venue. This is a terrific opportunity to join Mapperton at the start of a new venture, with opportunities for the role to grow with the expanding business.
- Creating an annual budget and plan for the cafe
- Working in the cafe day-to-day during the season
- Recruiting, training and managing seasonal staff
- Developing menus and overseeing food preparation / serving
- Setting up and running a temporary cafe from April to May while building works continue
- Sourcing from local suppliers where possible
- Working closely with other Mapperton staff for bookings of coach parties and other groups
- Working with weddings/events team and external caterers to ensure smooth running of all events
- Overseeing bar during weddings and events
- Supporting the marketing of the café and venue, including use of social media channels
- Ensuring positive customer experience and feedback, including responding to adverse comments where appropriate
- Stock taking and stock buying
- Financial oversight and reporting (with support)
- Planning staff rota
- Ensuring the highest standards of cleanliness
- Managing processes, controls and paperwork to meet 5 star EHO standards
- Overseeing cleaning, operations and security of whole venue
- Overseeing health & safety, fire safety and risk assessments
- Be passionate about producing creative high quality food that exceeds visitor expectations
- Be outgoing, cheerful and friendly even during busy periods
- Be creative, with ideas for improving our food, service and processes, as well as special events
- Be experienced in managing a cafe, food outlet, deli or coffee shop
- Be able to control costs, manage purchases and ensure profitability
- Have good computer and financial skills
- Have excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Be a great manager and motivator
- Ideally, have some experience in marketing and social media
- Salary dependent upon experience
- 20 days holiday per year plus Bank Holidays, pro rata
- Average of 40 hours per week
- During the season (April to October), the cafe is open from Sunday to Thursday
- The position is initially for an 9 month contract, starting on agreed date after 1 February 2018
- The intention is for the role to become full-time following a successful season, and subject to out-of-season event bookings and activities.
Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date 31 December.