Mapperton is pleased to announce that, following an update to the Government guidance, we will reopen our gardens to visitors from Sunday 7 June.
We will open Sunday to Thursday from 11am to 5pm and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the gardens throughout the summer.
The House and the Coach House Café will unfortunately not be open at this stage, though we will keep this under review. However you can always join our free live stream house tours on Tuesdays 4pm at mapperton.com/live.
In order to ensure the safety of our visitors and our staff we have carried out a COVID risk assessment, resulting in various changes at Mapperton. Please therefore note the following:
- We are restricting the number of visitors to a maximum of 30 per hour to help with social distancing. Please be considerate of others when you arrive and always maintain a minimum of 2m from other groups.
- Tickets can only be purchased online in advance via our website and are limited to 30 per hour. You must start your visit during the hour shown on your ticket in order to help with social distancing. Please bring your ticket receipt with you. Garden tickets are £10 for adults and £4 for under 16s (under 5s are free). Tickets cannot be bought onsite.
- Please don’t park too close to others as there will be ample parking space given the limited numbers.
- There will be hand sanitisers available near the entrance and in the lavatories. Please use these and wash your hands frequently.
- Please follow the one way signs in the Gardens; there are options of shorter and longer routes. There will be a different entrance and exit to avoid meeting on the narrow paths. You can pick up a map at the entrance when you arrive, or you can download a PDF, in advance, here.
- Hand rails in the gardens will be cleaned regularly but please avoid touching or wear gloves if you are able.
- The lavatories will be open and cleaned daily. However only one person will be allowed in each area at a time. Please use the sliding signs to indicate occupancy.
- You are welcome to bring a picnic but please use the designated areas 1) beyond the car park and 2) by the Coach House. Please maintain social distancing and take all your rubbish home with you.
- As usual, dogs must remain in the car park area or outside the Coach House only.
- A selection of plants will be available for sale. These can only be bought with cash via an Honesty Box, so please bring a variety of change if you would like to make a purchase.
- Historic House and RHS members can visit free of charge but will still need to obtain an online ticket in advance.
- Please note that there will be no ticketing or shop staff on site. However there will be a designated first aider available in case of any accidents. Information will be provided on site.
- We are very sorry but Mapperton Gardens will be unable to accommodate wheelchairs at this time. This is because the one way system requires the use of steep paths and steps, and it is not possible to create a safe wheelchair route given the need for social distancing. We will however continue to consider alternatives.
In common with other historic houses this year, Mapperton has lost all visitor income which normally supports the significant cost of running and maintaining the house & gardens. We are also sorry that visitors have been unable to enjoy the gardens as they have blossomed through the Spring.
However thanks to the hard work of our gardening team the gardens are looking wonderful and should provide a haven of calm and beauty during this challenging period. We therefore very much look forward to your visit and are grateful for your support.
Mapperton Estate, 1 June 2020