Mapperton is one of the most important and distinctive gardens in the country. Registered Grade II*, it is among a handful of the top gardens in the south west. Its gardens are famous for their romantic setting, their varied planting and their sense of tranquillity.
Tucked into a steep north-south combe, the gardens descend from the very formal topiary gardens and Orangery to the north to an arboretum, beyond which the land unfolds in small, steep valleys and headlands down to the sea five miles away.
South of the Fountain Court are two rectangular ponds on the north/south axis, flanked with tall clipped yew trees. To its east lies Daniell’s Garden, a shrub garden enclosing a secret garden behind it. Above the pools is a 17th century summer house. At their southern end a stone statue and a range of steps lead to the arboretum, and the Spring Garden.
The history of Mapperton Gardens falls into four main periods: the 17-19th century, the 1920s, the 1950-60s, and the present day.
There is a wealth of information about each period’s garden, along with detailed planting notes, in our new Guidebook, which is available to purchase from the Mapperton Shop.